Sunday, December 16, 2012

French Toast Two Ways

Mexican French Toast


French toast has been a family staple in our home for many years.  One morning, while eating breakfast out, my husband and I had the most delicious french toast ever.  When my husband complimented the waiter, he told us the secret to fabulous french toast is to add pancake mix to the batter.  What a sensational idea!  I have been doing it ever since.

Watching Patty Cooks on Create TV last weekend,  Patty's sister demonstrated one of their family favorite recipes, "Gypsy Fingers".  Well, I'm not sure I like the name, but the results are spectacular, so I'm calling my version Mexican French Toast. 

French Toast Batter
This is my basic french toast batter mix. In a flat bowl, whip together the following:
3 eggs
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup pancake mix
1 teaspoon brown sugar



Traditional French Toast
For tradtional french toast, I dip both sides of a slice of white bread in batter, then cook on a preheated frying pan lightly coated with spray butter.


Mexican French Toast 
You will need French Toast Batter and:
White bread
filling of your choice
Brown sugar mixture: mix in flat bowl: 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

With a rolling pin, roll white bread until flat, spread about 1 Tablespoon of filling (I used blueberry spreadable fruit) and roll.  Dip in french toast batter, then pan fry until brown.  Remove from heat and roll in brown sugar mixture.

Note: you do not need to cut of the crusts, you don't even notice them after you batter them up.

   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment