Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Indian Trail Cranberry Orange Sauce and Cranberry Jello



My Mother in Law introduced me to Indian Trail Cranberry Orange Sauce many years ago.  Every Thanksgiving we would make cranberry jello using the Indian Trail Sauce recipe.  The last couple of years I have not been able to find the sauce anywhere and was really missing it.  I found out they are no longer making the sauce so I decided to make my own.

I remember the sauce having a thick consistency with some large pieces of cranberry.  Here is the recipe I came up with (and yippie!) tasted exactly like Indian Trail Cranberry Orange Sauce.


Indian Trail Cranberry Orange Sauce
1 12oz bag of fresh cranberries
1 cup of sugar
1 orange (1/3 of orange with peel and pulp minced, the rest without peel diced)
1/2 tsp of lemon zest

 Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat until boiling.  (Cranberries will begin to split). With a potato masher, smash the cranberries to break up.

That's it!  Who new it would be so easy. 


Here is my new recipe for Cranberry Jello:

Cranberry Jello 
Note: this takes a long time to set, make it the day before. 
1 12oz bag of fresh cranberries
1 cup of sugar
1 orange (1/3 of orange with peel and pulp minced, the rest without peel diced)
1/2 tsp of lemon zest
 Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat until boiling.  Stir so mixture does not burn. (Cranberries will begin to split).  With a potato masher, smash the cranberries to break up.
Then add:
2 packages (3 oz.) Raspberry Flavor Gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 cup crushed pineapple (juice and all)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Stir until mixed and pour into dish.  Refrigerate until set, overnight is best.











Ready for the refrigerator!
After sleeping in the refrigerator all night, mmm...yummy! 


I pulled out my Indian Trail recipe that I clipped from a box.  Here are the original recipe's on the inside label:






The familiar light blue lettering is a bit faded now, so I am retyping the original recipe's for you.

Cranberry Orange with Cherry Gelatin
2 packages (3 oz.) Cherry Flavor Gelatin
2 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup crushed pineapple (juice and all)
1 package (10oz.) Frozen Indian Trail Cranberry Orange Sauce, defrosted

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.  Stir in Indian Trail Cranberry orange Sauce and pineapple.  Pour into mold.  Refrigerate until firm.



Hot Cranberry Butter
Makes 1 1/2 cups

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup maple flavored syrup
1 package (10oz.) Frozen Indian Trail Cranberry Orange Sauce, defrosted

heat butter and syrup together until butter melts.  Add Indian Trail Cranberry Orange Sauce, heat to boiling.  Serve warm over Waffles, Pancakes or French Toast.






 

6 comments:

  1. this is awesome. the kids wants me to make every year. never tried it from scratch before. i used mandarin oranges instead of pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mandarin oranges sound yummy! Glad the kids like it too, what an awesome tradition :)

      Delete
  2. I was going through my traditional family Thanksgiving recipes and came across this one which was my Mother-In-Law's favorite. My husband went to the grocery to buy all of the ingredients, only to find out that Indian Trail Cranberry Orange Sauce is no longer available. So I sat down at the computer to find out who does carry it and came across your recipe to make it from scratch! How coincidental is that? Mother-In-Laws' favorites! Now to head back to the store to get more ingredients!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Glad you found a recipe. I made it for my extended family this weekend for an early thanksgiving get together and it was a big hit. You are a very special Daughter-in law to make it from scratch for your Mother-in-law and hubby is awesome for buying the ingredients. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving and thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. WHERE CAN I BUY INIDAN TRAIL ORANGE/CRANBERRY RELISH?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry, Indian Trail Orange/Cranberry Relish is no longer available, but you can make your own by following the recipe. It's yummy!

      Delete