Monday, October 17, 2011

Pierogi’s


Growing up in a Polish/American home, we ate Pierogi's for holidays and family get togethers.  My Mom used a Polish recipe handed down to her from generation to generation, but has never written it down and the results for me were not consistent.  This recipe uses sour cream in the dough, is very easy to follow with delicious and reliable results. 

from Dorothy a friend, and my sister Liz

For Dough-
3 eggs
1 pint sour cream
Mix with dough hooks of electric mixer until blended.
ADD:
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Dash of salt (optional)
Mix ½ to mixture and then the rest.
The dough will be soft.  Invert bowl onto floured work surface and work until dough holds together.  Return to mixing bowl and cover until ready to use.  (Do not over work dough).

FOR FILLING (Filling is enough for 2 batches of dough):
Peel and cook 5 pounds of potatoes.  Drain, add 8 oz. to 1 pound (depends on taste) medium or sharp shredded or cubed cheddar cheese to the hot potatoes.  Mix with mixer until blended.  Filling should be stiff, if not, you can add instant potatoes.  On floured surface, roll dough, cut into circles, fill with potato filling, pinch closed.  Drop into boiling water and soft boil.  Drop into ice water and let sink to cool.  Sauté in melted butter until browned.  Serve with butter and onions.
One batch makes 7-8 dozen. 

Notes from my sister: Make the potatoes first so they can cool.  I make all the pierogi's before I start boiling them unless someone is helping me.  I put them on floured cookie sheets and cover with dish towels until I’m ready to boil.  You’ll notice if you roll out too much dough, the circles will stick to your work surface.  I reroll the dough scraps one time for pierogi's and then use the left over dough for noodles.  HAVE FUN!

Notes from me: I chill and divide the dough into ¼’s and make the filling the night before.  The filling is enough for two batches of dough, so if I make one dough recipe of 3-4 dozen, I use the leftover filling for potato pancakes. After boiling, I usually skip the ice water bath. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment