Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Easy Light Baked Potato Soup


 




Middle of a winter snow storm, baked potato soup was the request for dinner but I didn't have any of my go to ingredients like bacon.  So I tried making the soup anyway, minus the bacon, and minus the onion, and realized my baked potato soup didn't have any flavor.  (Insert lightbulb going off).. so I added a jar of Bertolli Light Alfredo Sauce, and my soup came together effortlessly.


Wow!  everyone liked my soup, and it's lower in fat than my loaded bake potato soup. This recipe is so quick and easy we may never eat the full fat version again.

This recipe makes a very thick soup, about 5 servings. Add a bit more milk if you want it thinner. 

Souper  Easy Baked Potato Soup
8 medium potatoes
3 cups skim milk
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup flour plus 2 Tablespoons
1 jar Bertolli Light Alfredo Sauce
Cheddar cheese for garnish
season to taste with:
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Optional: onion, bacon
Note: you can substitute instant potatoes for some of the flour to help thicken the soup.

Rinse the potatoes and poke with a fork or knife then cook in microwave until done.  I like to cook the potatoes in 2 batches, so about 8 minutes on high power to cook 4 potatoes.  Allow potatoes to cool, remove skins and rough chop into 3/4 inch pieces.

To a large saucepan add butter, flour and milk and stir with a spoon.  Add potatoes, alfredo sauce, and season to taste with garlic and black pepper.

On Medium high heat, stir until hot and thickened.  You must stir this soup constantly or the bottom will scorch.

The star of this recipe, Bertolli Light Alfredo Sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment